Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Osaka Museum of Housing and Living

This post is a continuation of my previous post. As I said in my previous blog post, last Thursday I spent the whole day with Emai-san and Mizu-san (who are good friends with my host mother) as we went to various attractions around Osaka.

The first item on our agenda was to visit the Momofuku Ando Instant Ramen Museum (see previous blog post). After visiting the instant ramen museum, we had sushi for lunch!



The sushi was very good! On a side note, usually wasabi is hidden inside each piece of sushi, and I found out the hard way that legit Japanese wasabi is VERY spicy!

After lunch, we went to the Osaka Museum of Housing and Living. At first, it seemed like a run-of-the-mill history museum. The museum is located on the upper floors of a commercial building in downtown Osaka.

To my suprize, they had this hidden away in the top floors of a plain modern commercial building...
In this hangar-sized room, there is a full-scale replica of an Edo-period Japanese village!





An onsen (public bath).


The lighting in the room that the Edo-period village is in can be altered for a transition from "Day" to "Night."











In the museum, you can wear a kimono for up to 30 minutes for FREE!











No comments:

Post a Comment