Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Japanese Food

If I had to sum up Japanese food in one word, it would be, "exotic". Now of course foreign food would be considered exotic to any traveler, but for me, Japanese food takes a fine balance between "exotic food" and "comfort food". I had eaten a lot of raw fish during my stay in Japan since it is a staple of the Japanese diet, so much so that it became a kind of comfort food to me. But that is just one example of what I had eaten in Japan. The pictures should illustrate this better.


Just your run of the mill sushi.


Tempura, basically just an assortment of fried things on sticks.

Good ol' ramen.

Taiyaki, which is a large cookie filled with red bean paste.

Yakisoba, which are fried noodles.


Okonomiyaki, which is similar to an omlet.

An assortment of odds and ends and I have no idea what they are (except for the rice, which is pretty obvious).


Soba, cold noodles.

Sashimi (raw fish) and chicken.

A rice-filled omlet. These are popular all over Japan.

Raw whole squids

Grilled beef. But not just any beef, REAL KOBE BEEF!!



Rice and fixin's.

Uuuuh....

More Tempura

Uuummm....

Takuyaki! This is a local specialty in Osaka. They are little fried balls of batter with octopus pieces mixed in them.


Beef stew.

More sushi!

Salmon eggs sushi.

Shrimp.

Squid.

No comments:

Post a Comment