Friday, July 6, 2012

Osaka Aquarium Kaiyukan

This past Wednesday, I went with my host grandfather, Oji-chan, to visit the famous "Kaiyukan" Aquarium located here in Osaka. Now why is Kaiyukan famous? It's because Kaiyukan is one of the LARGEST aquariums in the world and it is one of the very few aquariums in the world that has a whale shark. Obviously, they like to do things big here.

Overall, visiting Kaiyukan was a great experience, and I certainly won't be forgetting their massive "Pacific Ocean" tank. That is the tank where they keep their whale shark. However, the whale shark wasn't out for display that day. Even though I didn't get to see the whale shark, there were plenty of other amazing fish that I've never seen in person before, and the sheer size of the tank is impressive within itself.

Now on to the pictures!

The aquarium itself.

Next to the aquarium, there was this huge ferris wheel.

When you first enter the aquarium, you walk through this tunnel.


Me and Oji-chan!

This is the view of Osaka Bay from the aquarium.

Here is the "Japanese Rainforest" exibit.


A mother otter and her babies.


Continuing the "doing things big" theme, here's a giant salamander!

More otters.

A lazy seal.

"NOO! Don't take my picture! I don't have my face on!"



The majestic capybara (a.k.a. the world's largest guinea pig).



"zzzZZzzzzZZZzzzz...."


Here are some dolphins with their trainers.



And now on to the highly anticipated "Pacific Ocean" tank.

It's huuuge! You can see the aquarium's very own school of 15,000 sardines to the right.


Manta ray.
















Time to go.

Here's a pamphlet I picked up. Apparently Kaiyukan has its own anime mascot.


No comments:

Post a Comment